Dog Eats Vitamin D: What You Need To Know


As a dog owner, it’s important to make sure your furry friend is getting all of the necessary nutrients to maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, it’s also important to be aware of the potential dangers that come with certain supplements and vitamins, such as Vitamin D. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what happens when a dog eats too much Vitamin D, the symptoms to watch for, and how to prevent it from happening in the first place.

The Importance of Vitamin D

Vitamin D plays a crucial role in maintaining strong bones, as it helps the body absorb calcium. It also plays a role in regulating the immune system and can even help prevent certain diseases. While Vitamin D can be found in some dog foods, it’s often not enough to meet their daily requirements. This is why some pet owners may choose to supplement their dog’s diet with additional Vitamin D.

The Risks of Too Much Vitamin D

While Vitamin D is essential for good health, too much of a good thing can be dangerous. In fact, Vitamin D toxicity is a serious condition that can lead to kidney failure, seizures, and even death if not treated promptly. Dogs who ingest large amounts of Vitamin D can experience symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, and increased thirst and urination. In severe cases, they may also experience muscle weakness and tremors.

How Much is Too Much?

The amount of Vitamin D that can be toxic to a dog varies based on their size and weight. Generally, a dose of 0.1mg/kg or more can be dangerous. This means that a small dog could be at risk after ingesting just a few Vitamin D supplements, while a larger dog may need to ingest a larger amount before experiencing symptoms.

Preventing Vitamin D Toxicity

The best way to prevent Vitamin D toxicity is to avoid giving your dog Vitamin D supplements unless specifically recommended by your vet. If your dog does require additional Vitamin D, make sure to follow your vet’s recommendations carefully and monitor your dog for any signs of toxicity. It’s also important to keep any Vitamin D supplements or medications out of reach of your dog, as they may mistake them for treats.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Vitamin D

If you suspect that your dog has ingested too much Vitamin D, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately. Your vet may recommend inducing vomiting to remove any remaining supplements from your dog’s system, as well as administering IV fluids to help flush out their kidneys. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary.


Vitamin D is an important nutrient for dogs, but too much can be dangerous. If you suspect that your dog has ingested too much Vitamin D, it’s important to seek veterinary care right away. By being aware of the risks and taking steps to prevent Vitamin D toxicity, you can help keep your furry friend healthy and happy.

Dog Eats Vitamin D: What You Need To KnowSource:
Dog With Symptoms Of Vitamin D ToxicitySource:
Vitamin D Toxicity Chart For DogsSource:
Dog Vomiting After Ingesting Vitamin D SupplementsSource:
Dog Owner Keeping Vitamin D Supplements Out Of ReachSource:
Dog Receiving Veterinary Care For Vitamin D ToxicitySource:

Share Article

Van Hellen

Being a dog parent has never felt this good. Here at Wheaten Dogs, finding the best essentials for your dog is our top concern. My mission is to provide information and latest updates, especially about best dog products, to dog owners and lovers alike.

Leave a comment